Sunday, May 14, 2006

That's Neat!

In addition to working with network and systems, I am also an amateur photographer. For the longest time, I was an unconvinced film addict and stuck to my film based equipment as the picture quality is undeniably better than what most digital cameras can produce particularly at higher ISOs. However, with a recent discovery, this perception is starting to change.

I read in a digital photography book recently about a noise-reduction filter/program called NeatImage. When I tried out the program, and applied its noise reduction algorithms to my digital photographs, I was amazed. Pictures I used to consider second-rate because of the noise could now be filtered to look so much better. See the examples they have on their Web site.

Give it a try. The demo version allows you to process an unlimited number of images, one image at a time, provided you are ok with the output being lossy jpg. That isn't so bad if you do the noise reduction part as your last step in your workflow. For a nominal fee, you can purchase Home and Professional versions of the program which don't have these limitations.

No comments: